Thursday, June 27, 2013

Robert Lewis Vietnam Remembrance Surfboard


The Vietnam War claimed the lives of 58,220 of our country’s finest men and women, those who displayed the full measure of devotion by making the ultimate sacrifice. The soldiers who were fortunate enough to make it home were left with ghastly memories of a nightmare come reality. Over 150,000 additional veterans committed suicide as a direct result of the war.
Robert Lewis - 1968
Robert Lewis, 2nd Battalion 13th Marine Artillery Regiment, served 13 months in the Vietnam War. This period of time still haunts him to this day. “I was locked in this war. It is a part of me.” 

In 2007, in an attempt to find closure, Lewis took part in The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Paddle-out remembering the fallen heroes.  He found the event to be of such spirit that he had a custom surfboard created in remembrance of the day. Slow to speak, Lewis explains the meaning of the board, “It represents a period in my life, the friends I lost during that time. It’s my farewell; the paddle-out was my goodbye… I can now face the Vietnam RemembranceWall without crying.”

Last week, Lewis came to Headline Graphics to pick up his surfboard and had some of his surviving buddies sign it before taking it home. “This is my closure.”
.


No comments :

Post a Comment